What to Bring
What to bring
- Framed photos and mementos of loved ones
- Comfortable casual clothes such as jeans, cotton pants, knee-length shorts, shirts, sweaters, blouses, and jackets sleepwear, bathrobe, and slippers
- A favourite pillow and blanket (Bellwood provides these but many of our clients enjoy the comfort of their own pillow and blanket.)
- Exercise clothes such as jogging suits, gym shorts, T-shirts, walking or running shoes, and rainwear
- Laundry detergent and dryer sheets (coin operated laundry machines are available)
- Alarm clock
- Toiletries and hygiene products (Mouthwash must be non-alcoholic.)
- Books, tapes, small radios, music CDs, iPods/mp3 players (without internet access, camera or phone access), extra batteries.
- Stamps, address book, and telephone numbers so you can write or telephone family and friends
- A sufficient supply of routine prescription medications and routine vitamins pre-approved by Bellwood medical staff
- A supply of quarters for telephones and newspapers; Loonies and quarters for laundry machines. Laundry machine expense is $1.25/ per use
- Phone cards
- Credit card, bank card, or money for toiletries or incidentals
What not to bring
- Over-the-counter medications and vitamins (unless pre-approved by our medical staff)
- Food or beverages, including chewing gum
- Lottery tickets
- Large amounts of money and valuables
- Computers, Personal Digital Assistants, TVs, cell phones, cameras, movies/DVDs. (You may use your cell phone once you are eligible for a day pass, but only when you’re travelling to and from your home. You must give your phone back to the nursing station upon returning to Bellwood.). Playing cards, dice or other gambling items
- Large portable radios and CD/DVD players
- Electronic hand-held games
- Perfume, cologne, aftershave and scented body lotions (Bellwood is a "scent free" environment due to the increasing number of people with environmental allergies.)
Please note that if any of these items are brought to Bellwood, they will be placed in safekeeping and will not be available for your use during treatment.
Footwear must be worn at all times and should be appropriate for program activity.
The following items of clothing are not permitted for Bellwood clients:
- Tight or revealing clothing such as halter tops, bathing suit tops, mid-drift tops (belly tops), thinly strapped tops, strapless tops, tight shorts, pants, or skirts, tank tops, "muscle" tops, "short" shorts or short skirts.
- Clothing with inappropriate wording or pictures, including anything promoting alcohol, bars, casinos or sports teams
- Camouflage clothing
Please note that as part of our infection control policy, upon admission, all belongings will be screened by our staff in the presence of clients. Luggage and bags will be steamed and clothes may be ‘flash dried’ if required.