Eating Disorder and Addiction Treatment Program
We know that individuals with eating problems can also struggle with other addictions. Bellwood's program is unique in our ability to treat addictions and an eating disorder at the same time. If you are struggling with bulimia, binge eating, anorexia or a related eating disorder with an addiction our specialists can help you restore your health and rebuild your life.
I Don’t Have an Addiction - Is This Program Right for Me?
Even if you don’t have an addiction, our holistic and comprehensive treatment program will promote and enhance your recovery from the eating disorder.
In particular, you can expect to benefit from the following aspects of our core programming:
- Meditation and relaxation
- Physical education and fitness
- Recovery planning, and coping strategy development
- Formal cognitive behavioural therapy education and group work
- Group therapy
- Assertive communication training
- Stress management
- Relaxation, meditation
- Life skills coaching
- Acupuncture and massage therapy
The following program components are designed to meet the needs of both the eating disorder and the addiction:
Orientation Phase (One week in length)
- Indepth assessment interview
- Introduction to meal planning
- Meal support
- Small group/individual sessions to provide support, psycho-education and preparation for the ongoing program
- Eating disorder-specific group therapy
- Daily eating disorder groups focused on:
- Body image
- Developing tools for establishing healthier attitudes towards food and weight
- Relapse prevention - 3-week small group training and education
- Nutritional counselling
- Ongoing meal support
- Ongoing meal planning
- Experiences with shopping for food and dining out
- Medical care and supervision
- Expressive artwork
- Family Program (4 days) focusing education and self-care for family members, including eating disorder-specific sessions
- Medically and psychiatrically stable and able to function in, and benefit from, a group-based treatment program
- A BMI of 17 or above
Continuing Care Program
On completion of the eating disorder residential treatment phase, you will transition to Bellwood’s outpatient Continuing Care program. One year of intensive aftercare support is included in the Eating Disorder and Addiction Treatment Program. Bellwood’s Continuing Care Program includes weekly group counselling sessions and individual support for clients within commuting distance of Bellwood. Out-of-town clients are supported with a weekly online aftercare group available via video conference.
Read more about Bellwood’s Continuing Care / Aftercare Program
Before my time at Bellwood, my life was truly unmanageable. I was unable to go to work, I was a complete recluse, I spent tons of money on food and did not engage in any activities that I used to enjoy.
The eating disorder treatment program at Bellwood has truly changed my life. The goal is to treat the whole person and through a combination of structured eating, group and individual therapy, access to acupuncture/massage, daily lectures, as well as art and music therapy, Bellwood helped me tackle my issues from all directions. But it is not just the strong programming that makes Bellwood the success that it is. Bellwood's success is primarily due to the outstanding professionals on staff that provide a safe, caring and compassionate environment in which to begin the healing journey.
Since leaving Bellwood, I use structured eating techniques, I have developed a supportive network of caring individuals, I look forward to social outings with friends and I have developed a passion for art that inspires me daily. I still struggle, but I often refer back to what I learned at Bellwood and it has certainly been my launching pad to a life free of compulsion and addiction.
Thank you, Bellwood, for your guidance as I work towards a life free from my eating disorder.
Eating Disorder Treatment Success Rates
Externally validated and published research studies show that Bellwood’s eating disorder treatment model works. Outcome studies show that 71% of eating disorder clients no longer had problematic behaviours at 6-month follow-up (The Eating Attitude Test-26 was used to evaluate client eating disorder symptoms).
Client Recommendation Rates
Our most important validation comes from our clients themselves. 97% of clients who have completed a Bellwood program say they would recommend us to others.
Read more about Bellwood’s Success Rates
For 30 years, Bellwood has helped individuals and families heal from eating disorders, addictions, and other related issues. Our treatment programs use evidence-based treatment models, have high success rates and are delivered by a multidisciplinary team of experts with a deep commitment to help you recover.
Why Clients Choose Bellwood:
- 30 Years of Experience
- Expert Eating Disorder and Addiction Specialists
- Concurrent Treatment for Eating Disorders and Addiction
- Your Own Multidisciplinary Treatment Team
- High Success Rates – Validated & Published in Scientific Journals
- 24-Hour Medical Care
- 97% of Clients Would Recommend Bellwood to Others
- Accredited with Exemplary Standing
- Continuing Care/Aftercare
- A 70-Year Legacy in Addiction Treatment
- Holistic, Rich Experience
- Support for Loved Ones – Family Services
Read More on Why Clients Choose Bellwood
What’s My Next Step?
A good starting point to learn if this program is right for you, is to call us at 1-800-387-6198 and speak with one of our addiction specialists. They can help you identify your needs and discuss your options and next steps. Your phone consultation is free and confidential.
Book a Free Assessment
Our Addiction Specialists are here to help
Give us a call or send us an email to learn more about how we can help.
Call us at 1-800-387-6198
Be assured that all information you provide to us is securely maintained and kept strictly confidential.
Back to Eating Disorders & Addiction Treatment Programs