Addiction & PTSD/OSI Treatment Program
Facing the dual challenges of trauma and addiction
Many people suffering from traumatic stress or post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) also face the added challenge of an addiction. In fact, 36% to 52% of PTSD sufferers also abuse alcohol (Kesslar et al, 1995). Research also indicates that 34.4% of those with PTSD also had a substance use disorder (Mills et al, 2006).
If you are a member of the military, a veteran, an RCMP officer, a first responder, Bellwood's Addiction & PTSD/OSI Treatment Program can help you recover from these dual challenges and reclaim your life.
Our program is designed specifically for the treatment of traumatic stress, operational stress injury, and PTSD. We recognize that the dual diagnosis of PTSD and substance abuse requires a specialized and concurrent treatment approach to maximize the potential for a successful recovery. Bellwood's program addresses your trauma and addiction at the same time - an integrated approach recommended as a best practice by Health Canada.
During this 8 ½ week residential program, our exceptional Addiction & PTSD/OSI Treatment Program Team will work closely with you to help stabilize your trauma symptoms, establish safety in a caring community environment, and overcome your dependency on alcohol and drugs.
Our unique program includes:
- Specialized trauma-focused groups including psycho-education, cognitive behavioural therapy and symptom management
- Regular medical care and monitoring through appointments with addiction physician
- 24 hour nursing care
- Weekly group therapy
- Individual sessions
- Daily addiction education sessions
- Anger management workshops
- Sleep hygiene sessions
- Relaxation and meditation instruction
- Massage and acupuncture
- Nutrition and fitness instruction
- Relapse prevention
- 12-Step/ self-help, spirituality in the context of both addiction and PTSD
- For military clients, meetings with your Operational Stress Injury Social Support representative
- Family services focusing on PTSD symptoms in the home and the adjustments needed when the client returns from treatment.
Ongoing recovery support
To help support your recovery after you've completed the residential program, we provide 24/7 toll free access to our emergency crisis support centre and follow up with you each week with support letters.
Depending on your needs, you may also be in contact with your recovery counsellor. If appropriate, we offer weekly aftercare support groups or our Mini-Treatment Program .
Do I Have a Problem?
Addiction Cost Calculator
What is Your Addiction Costing You?
If you would like more information on how Bellwood can help you, please call or email us.
Success StoriesI am a serving member of a large police force. In 2007, I was diagnosed with PTSD and took off seven months to try and regain control of my life. I was very...
read more client testimonials
PTSD Treatment Outcomesread more on Bellwood's success rates
Book a Free Assessment
Our Addiction Specialists are here to help.