Addiction & PTSD/OSI Treatment Program
Facing the dual challenges of addiction and PTSD/OSI
Many people suffering from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or operational stress injuries (OSI) also face the added challenge of an addiction. In fact, 36% to 52% of PTSD sufferers also abuse alcohol (Kesslar et al, 1995). Research also indicates that 34.4% of those with PTSD also had a substance use disorder (Mills et al, 2006).
If you are a member of the military, a veteran, an RCMP officer, or a first responder, Bellwood's Addiction & PTSD/OSI Treatment Program can help you recover from these dual challenges and reclaim your life.
Our program is designed specifically for the treatment of PTSD and/or operational stress injury. We recognize that the dual diagnosis of PTSD and substance abuse requires a specialized and concurrent treatment approach to maximize the potential for a successful recovery. Bellwood's program addresses your trauma and addiction at the same time - an integrated approach recommended as a best practice by Health Canada.
During this 64 days residential program, our exceptional Addiction & PTSD/OSI Treatment Program Team will work closely with you to help stabilize your trauma symptoms, establish safety in a caring community environment, and overcome your dependency on alcohol and drugs.
In addition to the elements of our substance abuse treatment, our unique program includes the following trauma specific components:
- Grounding techniques and self-regulation in depth
- Specialized trauma-focused groups including psycho-education, cognitive behavioural therapy and symptom management
- Weekly PTSD/OSI group therapy
- Comprehensive anger management workshops
- Sleep hygiene sessions
- Individual sessions pertaining to trauma issues
- Relapse prevention – 3-week small group training and education
- 12 step/self-help, spirituality in the context of both addiction and PTSD/OSI
- Twice weekly relaxation/massage therapy sessions
- Twice weekly or more acupuncture sessions
- Family services focusing on PTSD symptoms in the home and the adjustments needed when the client returns from treatment.
Facilitated Equine Experiential Learning
Bellwood has introduced Facilitated Equine Experiential Learning (FEEL) into our Addiction & PTSD/OSI Program. This new program feature is organized in a controlled setting using horses to teach how to reach a specific goal and also to experience the reward of the journey of personal development. Weather permitting, clients have the opportunity to experience this valuable therapy once during the course of their program.
Facilitated by The Mane Intent, clients receive a day of assisted equine experiential learning. FEEL is a leading edge modality for developing human potential and fostering personal health. By engaging in ground work with horses in a controlled setting, clients learn how their attitude, body language and intent impact their relationships and the world around them. By working in partnership with the horses as teachers and facilitators of change, clients learn to:
- Become aware of subtleties of verbal and non-verbal communication
- Improve attention, mindfulness and focusing abilities
- Become aware of incongruence of intention versus behaviour
- Identify and respect boundaries with ourselves and with others
- Confront insecurities and develop confidence
- Adjust to the relativity of time, expanding the moment
- Cope with stress, grief and unexpected setbacks.
Ongoing recovery support
To help support your recovery after you've completed the residential program, we provide 24/7 toll free access to our emergency crisis support centre and follow up with you each week with support letters.
Depending on your needs, you may also be in contact with your recovery counsellor. If appropriate, we offer weekly aftercare support groups or our Mini-Treatment Program .
Do I Have a Problem?
Addiction Cost Calculator
What is Your Addiction Costing You?
If you would like more information on how Bellwood can help you, please call or email us.
Success StoriesI am a serving member of a large police force. In 2007, I was diagnosed with PTSD and took off seven months to try and regain control of my life. I was...
read more client testimonials
PTSD Treatment Outcomesread more on Bellwood's success rates
Book a Free Assessment
Our Addiction Specialists are here to help.